This was my project during the past week of no power. I have several tutorials I had pinned, but I had no internet, therefore, I couldn't follow them. So I made a simple cover on my own that works very nicely.
It is a small rectangle quilt, with a band added and folded over. Bias on all the edges. And velcro to hold it closed. Very simple.
It actually fits all the way in. I just wanted to show a piece of the IPad.
It's so nice to be able to blog again. Last Thursday morning we lost power. We had 13" of snow, then rain came and froze on the snow breaking limbs off trees and power lines came down. We have a generator built into our house, so we were pretty comfortable during the power outage, even though the world around us was not normal. We got power Monday evening, but still no internet. It's amazing how much I have enjoyed the world of blogging, pinterest, ravelry, etc. They are another way of socializing. So here I am back at it again.
During this past week, since I was able to quilt, I did 3 quilts for Vaira. This first is a baby quilt. I did dog bones and paws on it.
This one used oriental fabrics.
I like the colors of this quilt. I did feathers all over and feathers coming off of feathers. It was really fun.
Here it is. This took most of a year to get done, but it was very fun to do. I do enjoy applique a lot.
My colors are very similar to Esther's. I looked at hers next to mine and I did copy her a lot. But I do like the pinks and greens together. I also like how the leaves run outside of the box. It doesn't seem boxish.
You can see my curved crosshatch, which was really interesting to do in a long border. I had to adjust how I did it as the movement of the curves rather surprised me. I probably won't do curved crosshatching again on a long border.
I did my form of McTavish in the applique blocks.
Some feathers other places.
I like hanging quilts over my stair railing.
I found this pic of Eloise after I posted the last ones yesterday. This is from the same evening and the best one. We now have over a foot of snow. That's unusual for us in the Pacific Northwest. The children will have fun today.
These are some of the most delicious sweets - but not too sweet. And baked things are so good when it snows. I got the recipe from Mennonite Girls Can Cook. These are the Lemon Pull-Aparts. They have good pictures so if you want to see more, you can check it out.
You don't need a fork to eat them, but you can lick your fingers.
Eloise gets to enjoy the snow. I can't say she really enjoyed it. It's hard to walk in for her. A little snow is a lot for her little feet.
I started these doilies on our winter trip to Seaside. That seems to be when I do the doilies. They are a nice small project to take with me. I finished them later at home.
This was supposed to be all one doily with 4 squares in it, but I ran out of thread and I thought one section was quite large enough for a doily. I like them smaller than larger. I guess I don't have enough large areas to put doilies on. But these are for Naomi's collection.
I like filet crochet. You can see the hearts in the pattern.
This one didn't get the special border as I was out of thread, but some doilies need to have a plain edge.
The color doesn't look very nice here, but it's a tannish bronze and is lovely.
After making the pinwheels for my new baby quilt, it was time to do some applique flowers. I don't have a die cutter, so I normally make a template and cut around it. This time I came up with a better method.
I cut 4" squares with fusable web adhered to it.
I folded it in half.
I folded it in half again. My finger is on the center of the fabric. You don't want to cut that corner or you won't have a flower.
I brought the two sides together, so it's folded in eighths.
I placed my paper template of one petal on the fabric with the point at that center we don't want to cut. I cut around the curve and down the sides a little.
This is what I came out with.
These foldings are for a 6 petal flower. After folding in half, I took one side over, making a fold at the bottom center and bringing the top about two thirds of the way over.
Then I did the same with the other side.
I placed my template over it and cut.
And now I have a 6 petaled flower which I have fused onto my fabric.