Friday, August 10, 2012

Un Bon Repas - Mediterranean Style Crostini

Why do I use French with an Italian sandwich?  I don't know except that the word repas stuck in my mind and I wanted to use it for this.
It's been a while since I've done a recipe, but I made this a couple of days ago for a lunch with a friend, and as my family came home and tried some, it was a hit.

 Crostini
      1 baguette cut into 1/2" slices
       drizzle with olive oil and broil for a few minutes.  Watch them!  It is easy to burn them as you can see from the picture below.  Turn them once in the process.
 
 Sandwich layers
Cream cheese spread (recipe follows)
fresh basil leaves
1large roma tomato sliced very thin
1 can tuna, drained
2 hard cooked eggs, chopped up

I made a trip to the store and didn't make a list, so I forgot to buy a cheese spread.  I just decided to make my own, and that was what was the real hit with everyone.
Cream Cheese Spread
8 oz cream cheese
Italien seasoning
celery salt
onion salt
a few drops Half and Half
Mix the cream cheese with the seasonings in a food processor.  Add the drops half and half to loosen things up a bit.  Make sure you don't add much.  You just want to get the whole things smooth.  You don't want it runny.
Put a thick layer of the spread on your crostini and then layer the other ingredients in the order listed.  To make it Mediterranean, you can also add black olives.  I'm just not an olive fan myself.
Serve with a salad and you have un bon repas.
On the top picture, the black is the pepper I added.  Do add salt and pepper to taste.

1 comment:

  1. MMMm sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing - we'll have to try this.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Please feel free to leave a comment.