Monday, March 23, 2015

A New Wholecloth Quilt Starting

I love doing wholecloth quilts.  They probably are my favorite quilts.  With a longarm and so many design ideas out there, it makes it quite fun.  I am now in the design process of one.
I am drawing just 1/8th of the pattern as it will be repeated all the way around.

This will be a king size quilt.  Below is the small drawing depicting ideas for the quilt.


 I get my ideas mostly from a Karen McTavish book on wholecloth quilting and others are from pictures that I have pinned.  The 3 berries is an idea from my daughter.  I don't know that there is anything original in the design.  The originality is the way they are all put together.




 This is center flower. The next process is drawing the whole thing onto the fabric.  I like the idea of having separate pieces.  It makes it easier to draw on the huge fabric.


3 comments:

  1. It's going to be lovely. I've purchased every book Karen has made with the hopes that someday I'll actually use them. For now they are fun to look through. Looking forward to watching your progress, maybe that will be the kick in the pants I need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great, love the photos of your process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A king size whole cloth quilt, oh my!! That is going to be wonderful. I've never seen anything like it. I think it's very original and gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Please feel free to leave a comment.