Wednesday, June 4, 2014

A Beginning - Melody's Quilt

I'm at it again with another baby quilt.  And pinwheels again also.  Let me show you my progress so far.  
I have 2 stacks of cut squares.  The larger is a 6" square and the smaller is 4" squares.  I'm using scraps, so the 4" squares are from my smaller scraps. It takes 2 of each color to make one pinwheel.  With the 6" squares it only takes 1 of each color.


 First the 4" squares.  I drew a line diagonally across the square and sewed 1/4" on each side of it.


Then cut them in half.


Now they are all laid out like a pinwheel.


 And now sewn and trimmed. It measures 6 1/2" unfinished.


 For the 6" squares I sewed along the outside edge of the 2 squares put together on all 4 sides.


 And then I cut 2 diagonal lines across it.


Press those open.


Arrange them  the way I want them.


 And sew and  trim.  This is also 6 1/2" unfinished.  It took some figuring to find out what size square to start with, but I think this is the more accurate method and easier method to make pinwheels.  Give it a try.
Which method do you like better?


Now it's time for the assembly line.
 

1 comment:

  1. Visiting from WIP Wednesday, Hope you stop by and enter my giveaway.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Please feel free to leave a comment.