Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Fireworks Quilt

Over a year ago I went into a quilt shop in Wichita, Kansas and saw this quilt hanging on the wall.  I really liked it and bought the pattern. Looking at the pattern, I would never have bought it because those colors didn't stand out to me, but this one with the blues and greens I really liked.


So now I've just started mine.


I cut out some of the pieces and started the first block.  I'm glad I didn't cut them all, because I discovered that there is a lot of wasted fabric and I have a hard time with that.  Most of this quilt is supposed to be the flip and sew method.  The corner half square triangles was too much fabric for me to waste, so I just cut them a little larger and did the diagonal cut for the half square triangles and then sewed them.
I also saw all the flying geese in this quilt and decided to do them the no-waste method.  That in itself saved me almost a yard of fabric.
You can see here all the little bundles I made for each of the sixteen squares.  Each square does not take too long to put together.


A pic with the pattern showing.


I can't wait to see how my version looks when all done.  I bought white fabric, but the rest of the fabrics are all scraps that I already had laying around.

1 comment:

  1. Good save on changing the pattern to use less fabric. Flip and sew is great when you are a beginner but what a waste of fabric!! Your quilt is going to be very pretty. I like the colors and I'm not a green person! Happy Stitching!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Please feel free to leave a comment.