Tuesday, June 18, 2013

From My Kitchen - Freezing Kale

My children had started on a new binge of making smoothies every day.  We've bought a lot of frozen fruit and fresh spinach and baby kale.  The kale and spinach we bought in large bags from Costco.  And it was all getting used up.  And then the binge started slowing down some. And the kale went bad and we threw it away.
But that does not need to be.  The next bag I bought, I froze.  Here's how it goes. 
You rinse the kale to get the dirt off.


And then you put it into your blender with a little water.  I added enough water to go to the bottom of the handle.  And then you blend. 


Keep adding more kale to it until you have quite a bit of blended mixture done.  


The longer and higher the speed of the blending
 the smoother your kale will be.  You can see in the picture below that some wasn't blended as long and the difference.  I don't think it matters when it comes to the real smoothie making, because you are still blending then.


I put them into muffin tins.  You can also use ice cube  trays. Just set them in your freezer for a few hours and then transfer them to a freezer bag.



 One cube is all your need for each smoothie.  Each cube packs in a lot of kale.  The same can be done with spinach.


Now we are even growing it in our garden, so I'm planning on freezing a lot of it.
It is fresh with the morning dew and the big leaves are already to pick.


2 comments:

  1. GREAT idea!!! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea Elaine! I've been putting kale in smoothies too. And I've thrown out too much kale and spinach lately myself! This I will definitely be doing from now on. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Please feel free to leave a comment.