Thursday, September 6, 2012

Paris

We spent our last few days in Paris. I've been here several times and it is probably my favorite city as far as large cities go. We rented an apartment on the Left Bank in the 6th district.  It is an historical building with a modern apartment.  We really liked it.  There was lots and lots of activity on the streets below till early hours of the morning that we could look out upon, but we could also close our windows to the sounds.
 You can see my girls looking out of our apartment windows.


A view looking down the street.


We came by train.  First a modern train station in Avignon to the Gare de Lyon in Paris, the grand old train station.



We were within walking distance of Notre Dame, only a 10 minute walk, so we went there the first afternoon after we got settled in.


Then we crossed the bridge and walked over to the Louvre and the Tuilleries.  The entrance to the Louvre is the pyramid in the foreground.


The next morning we tried the Met.  We made our way over to the Eiffel Tower.




My girls say they had a love/hate relationship with my walker.  The Eiffel Tower had two long, long lines.  One was to get tickets.  The other was to go up. My walker got us special assistance to instant tickets and the elevator up.  It was so nice not to be in those lines.
But those metros!   Lots of stairs.  No elevators.  Maybe once in a while an escalator.  So they carried my walker up and down stairs.


 Here we are on the Met.  Grandma was always good at taking these kind of pictures.


We then walked to the Arch of Triumph 


and window shopped on the Champs-Elysees.



Even car companies like Mercedes have a shop on this street.


That evening we took a river cruise on the Seine.




The next day we took some of the day to go to Giverny where Claude Monet's home and garden is.
I like his paintings and wanted to see his home.  We couldn't take any indoor pics but here's a few of his house and gardens.



 Doesn't this one remind you of one of his paintings?

When we got home we took a little walk over to the Luxembourg gardens which are just a few minutes from our apartment.  What a nice place to relax.






They have a pool where the children can sail boats.  And others sit in chairs all around it and the gardens just relaxing.



Our last day in Paris that is just what I did.  I decided not to go with the girls to Montmartre because I knew I wouldn't last as long as they and I can't manage the Met without them, so I took a quiche, my book, and my knitting and went to the park, after window shopping around my neighborhood.
They went up to Sacre Coeur


 and then went to the large fabric store in that area.  They said there is nothing like them at all here.  And as they are seamstresses,  they drooled over all and bought just a few.




We had dinner that night in the oldest restaurant in Paris, Cafe Procope.  It was a nice ending to our time in Paris and France.  All the food in France was so delicious.




Here are a few mountain tops in Greenland on our way home.




































6 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a wonderful time! Glad you're back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing vacation! I would have been drooling over that fabric store also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful trip - thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, a grand and glorious vacation!
    Have a great day.
    Always, Queenie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow you all got to see and do so much. What a blessing. And oh so beautiful!! Paris is very high on my list of places I'd like to visit someday, so thank you for sharing your trip with us!! See you soon. Bless you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the very enjoyable posts about your trip to France - they were lot's of fun to read :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Please feel free to leave a comment.